Categories: Entertainment

US prosecutors seek more than 11-year sentence for Sean 'Diddy' Combs

By Luc Cohen NEW YORK (Reuters) -U.S. federal prosecutors urged a judge on Tuesday to sentence Sean "Diddy" Combs to more than 11 years in prison this week following the hip-hop mogul's conviction on prostitution-related charges. The prosecutors sought "at least 135 months' imprisonment" and asked the court to fine Combs $500,000, according the court filing.U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian is due to sentence Combs during a hearing on Friday in Manhattan. Combs, 55, faces up to 20 years behind bars after a jury on July 2 found him guilty following a two-month trial on two counts of transporting male prostitutes across state lines to engage in drug-fueled sexual performances with his girlfriends while he watched, recorded video and masturbated. The jury acquitted Combs on the most serious counts he faced, racketeering and sex trafficking, charges that could have landed him in prison for life. Combs pleaded not guilty to all charges and is expected to appeal his conviction. His defense lawyers last week urged the judge to impose a 14-month sentence, arguing Subramanian should not consider evidence of abuse by Combs of his former girlfriends because jurors acquitted him of coercing them into sex. Under such a sentence, Combs would be released by the end of the year because he would be credited for the time already spent in jail at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Center following his September 16, 2024 arrest. Combs founded Bad Boy Records and is credited with popularizing hip-hop in American culture. During the trial, prosecutors said Combs coerced two of his former girlfriends to take part in the performances, sometimes known as "Freak Offs." Both women testified that Combs physically attacked them and threatened to cut off financial support if they resisted the encounters. Lawyers for Combs argued there was no direct link between what they called domestic violence and the women's participation in the "Freak Offs", a strategy that ultimately resulted in their client's acquittal on the sex trafficking and racketeering counts.    (Reporting by Luc Cohen in New York; Additional reporting by Shivani Tanna in Bengaluru; Editing by Will Dunham)

(The article has been published through a syndicated feed. Except for the headline, the content has been published verbatim. Liability lies with original publisher.)

Indianews Syndication

Recent Posts

Optimism 'essential' in Ridley Scott's sci-fi thriller 'The Dog Stars'

By Hanna Rantala LONDON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Ridley Scott returns to science fiction films…

2 hours ago

US judge rejects Disney bid for quick hearing in FCC lawsuit

By David Shepardson WASHINGTON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge rejected a request by…

5 hours ago

US judge rejects Disney bid for quick hearing in FCC lawsuit

By David Shepardson WASHINGTON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - A U.S. judge rejected a request by…

5 hours ago

UK cinemas restricting Meta AI and other smart glasses over piracy concerns

LONDON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Cinema operators in Britain are introducing policies to prohibit or…

6 hours ago

Make your own cocktail syrups, for quick, easy and inexpensive drinks

Munich (dpa) - Cocktails may look impressive but if you make these syrups yourself you…

8 hours ago

Prime Video to invest more than $2 billion in Latin America through 2030

Aug 20 (Reuters) - Prime Video said on Thursday it plans to invest more than…

8 hours ago